Friday, June 19, 2009

EMO - The Rant

What is emo?
Kids at school lable me as emo.
Why is this?

This is something I have been wondering due to the arguements over the topic. Most kids only call me emo because of the bands I listen to, while the White Stripes are far from emo - Jack and Meg White are Christian, I believe, the title to their album Get Behind Me Satan is a quote from the bible and they have a few references to hearing Christ and such. While My Chemical Romance, despite the shaggy hair cuts and black clothing, are not emo either. In fact, they even have a song titled Famous Last Words, with the lyrics 'I Am Not Afraid To Keep On Living'. UnderOath? Another Christian band I'm fond of, just because they're loud does not mean that they are talking about death and blood and gore. In fact, they're expressing their feelings for Christ, and usually speaking out against Satan. I find their methods very inspiring and amazing even if some may call them just noise. At least this noise is worshiping Christ, right? U2? Well, nobody would dare to call Bono emo, so this is one I don't need to cover this band.

I wear black.
How in the world does this make me emo? I like the colors red and black when they're combined, so what? I really don't see how this makes me emo.

Please, just think, before you point to the quiet kid in the back of the class who happens to be wearing black and has a binder covered in My Chemical Romance pictures and scream 'emo'. For all you know, they could be the ones mocking you when they actually succeed in school rather than wasting time labeling others, and you'll be the one who's upset when you see their novel in hardcover in the front window being advertised at Borders and Barnes & Nobles.

XOXO,
McKayla

2 comments: